Sunday 27 February 2011

Life in the country with new eyes

My life is so different now. It has been three years since my final operation. I celebrated each anniversary and took time to feel emotional and thankful for this new era of my life.

My friends are still amazed at how I survived the move and the eye drama and marvel at what I am now doing and how I am embracing this new life. What else could I do? We had to get through it and now I have this second chance I am not going to waste it.

We lead such a different life here and can’t imagine going back to the city. The girls are doing very well at school and haven’t missed out on anything. They lead very busy lives with their groups of friends and both have part-time jobs and a good reputation around town.

Peter still commutes to Canberra but has cut back his hours and works from home one day a week. He is involved with the local church and enjoys just being at home and pottering around – hmm sounds like retirement looming.

As for me – well my life couldn’t be much different. I left Canberra nearly blind, on leave from my job and menopausal and had no idea how I was going to survive this move to the country.

I now can see better than I have in a long time, have a casual job and run a small business and am still menopausal!

This has been an amazing move for me. I have embraced this new chapter of my life and again as I did in Canberra have gone and done things I would not have thought doing previously.

When my vision was restored I went out to find myself a job. I had no idea what I wanted to do but needed to do something. I had a couple of casual jobs and at one time was juggling three at the same time and was dubbed the town casual by friends. I was a bank teller, a checkout chick and a teacher’s assistant. I realised the casual work was not going to be enough and needed to find a job I could do at home. When I started to read again I was surprised by the mistakes I found in the best sellers I was reading, this was a job I could do so a correspondence course was found and the beginning of a new career as a proofreader and copy editor. Another local was doing the course and we met and ended up friends and in business together. My role at school changed and I have had regular work in the office and the library.

My community activities as President of our local VIEW club and Treasurer of the local soccer club have kept me busy and it is through these activities and my various jobs that I now know a lot of people in town – and they know me!

As the time is fast approaching when our girls will head off to university or whatever it is they choose to do, Peter and I know we did the right thing moving here. It was a challenge in the beginning but now we are settled and happy and can’t see ourselves moving for a while.

Ah, life in the country when you can see it!

No comments:

Post a Comment