Sunday 13 February 2011

The nightmare is over


During the next few weeks I spent a lot of time in tears. I couldn’t believe how clear and bright and beautiful everything was. That was just with one eye. I couldn’t even begin to imagine what it would be like with two. I was able to drive between here and Braidwood – and that gave me back some independence. I didn’t know what to do with myself.

When I went for a post op visit to Dr Con in Bowral, he was very pleased with my progress and he told me my sight was good enough to pass a drivers license test. I told him I had done some driving between home and Braidwood and his comment was, ‘Next time you come and see me I want you to drive.’ And next time I went to Bowral I did drive! One of the locals here said to me that it was so nice to see me zipping around town. He said that he saw my smile before he saw my car. He said it was as if I had taken a blindfold off and that’s what it was like, it was pretty overwhelming.

Both my cornea transplants had gone and new technology was helping me. I could see everything. I didn’t acknowledge how difficult this had been until it was over, until I had my sight back. Peter said that was my way of coping with it. I had downplayed it. My eyesight drama had affected every part of my family’s life.

When the time came to have the second lens implant, I couldn’t believe they were going to do it as day surgery. Peter and I went back to Sydney and the girls went out to Alli and Rusty's. We went up with very high expectations. It was all going to be over. A couple of hours after having my surgery I was out of hospital and we were on the road back to Bowral. We stayed overnight at a lovely B & B in Mittagong. Our host was given a bit of a shock when I got out of the car with a bandaged eye! I was a bit uncomfortable and very tired but we had a lovely evening there. Dr Con was very pleased when he took the bandages off the next morning and sent me on my way to learn to live with my new eyes. And that’s what I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment